New Friends 2016 is the 2nd international conference on social robots in therapy and education.
The application of social robots in therapy and education is an emerging field as these “new friends” become more sophisticated, available and affordable. In recent years, there has been an enormous increase of projects in which they are used successfully for groups with special needs, such as people with dementia, hospitalized children and children with autism. This increases the demand for expertise from a wide range of disciplines, like psychology, nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, AI, robotics and education to meet the technical opportunities with the development of therapeutic and educational practice.
To make this happen, the international and multidisciplinary conference New Friends 2016 brings together researchers, professionals, students from different disciplines of health, social welfare and education and developers in the fields of AI, social robotics, ICT, and business.
As New Friends 2016 features keynotes, oral and poster presentations, product and business demonstrations, competitions and practice-oriented workshops, covering:
- practitioners’ perspective of end users’ needs,
- good examples of trials, practice and intervention guidelines, interdisciplinary collaboration,
- technical innovations in robotics,
- related therapeutic or educational developments,
- theoretical studies and empirical research, including related HRI issues,
- related legal, ethical, philosophical and social issues,
we have decided to contribute to the Conference with a practice-oriented workshop that will cover the ethical, legal and social issues of robots in therapy and education.